Thursday, June 3, 2010

Alternative Solutions for Beating Bronchitis in Dogs

Over this past weekend, I spoke to a lovely young woman who had a problem with her Beagle named Jack.  Jack is a pug with bronchitis.  Jack is 14 and also suffers from severe arthritis.  She asked what holistic alternatives there were for Jack.

In answer to her question, I needed to ask a few questions.  They were:

Is Jack overweight?
If Jack is overweight it could very well be contributing to the bronchitis problem. Controlling the weight of your dog will have a major impact on his breathing and coughing.

Does Jack get any exercise?
Exercise can help with weight control.  However, if the dog has not been exercised regularly, it will be difficult to get the exercise program started and it will need to be done gradually and with supervision.  If he is not used to it, it can irritate the airways. Over time, more active is usually better than less active.

Does Jack wear a standard collar?
Using a standard collar can be a strain on his throat and cause coughing. Using a harness when walking can surely help.

Then I offered the following suggestions:

  1. Reduce environmental contaminants like cigarette smoke and keep your dog away from intense smells such as perfumes and strong room deodorizers.

  2. Keep it humid. Consider using a humidifier or vaporizer. Place the humidifier or vaporizer near where the dog usually stays during the day or night to help with breathing. Make sure to clean the humidifier or vaporizer as directed by the manufacturer since they can emit bacteria when they get dirty.
  3. Yerba Santa also known as the sacred herb in Spanish is a sticky-leafed evergreen that is native to the American Southwest. It is often used for the treatment of the common cold, as well as chronic respiratory problems such as bronchitis and asthma. As I always say, please, please, please do not dispense without professional guidance.  Check with a holistic vet or a pet homeopath.
  4. Marshmallow root is said to relieve digestive and respiratory problems, such as dry coughs, colds, sore throats, inflammation of the mouth and pharynx and asthma.  Side effects are minor if at all.  Check out http://www.dickcontino.com/marshmallow-root-herb-remedies-side-effects.htm
  5. Slippery Elm, like marshmallow, is traditionally used as a treatment for sore throat, coughs, dryness of the lungs, inflammation of the skin, wounds, and irritation of the digestive tract.  It has no known serious side effects as it coats the digestive tract and may slow down the absorption of other drugs or herbs.
I recently met with Jack and his guardian Samantha and Jack is now on Slippery Elm, uses and harness and has had a revamping of his diet.  We have high hopes that his bronchitis will improve over time and we will keep you posted.

Please remember that you should consult a professional before any herbal remedies mentioned are used.

5 comments:

  1. Asthma and Bronchitis are terrible sickness, My husband was once a victim. They told us there is no way he would survive it. We carried him to many places all to no avail. We just met one Doctor on the Internet, He advice us to get his herbal medication and you won't believe the miracle that happened. If you are having, Long term breathing problems including Asthma, Bronchitis and Emphysema, Contact Jeffery for advice and possible solution, with this email: jeolard70@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW I CURED MY CHRONIC BRONCHITIS THROUGH HERBS

    This may help those going through what I went through. I worked a long time for a Pesticide Company, and was diagnosed of Chronic Bronchitis. I used all prescribed medications and steroids yet, my condition got more complicated. The more I take antibiotics and kenalog injection, the worst the Bronchitis became. It got to a point the wheezing was just too much and I had constant fever and other complications which resulted from the drugs I was taking which couldn't provide a cure. I got feed up and went in search for a natural cure. At first, I thought I was the only one in the world was had Chronic Bronchitis, until I read a testimony of someone who got cured through herbal remedy without side effects. I contacted the doctor, explained my case and I got herbal medication which I used. Within one month of use, I was free from mucus and phlegm. In case you have someone suffering from bronchitis, you may contact Dr. Scott where I got my natural herbal cure via drevanscott@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband was diagnosed several years ago with emphysema. He was able to quit smoking and we stayed on top of any illness. He has been hospitalized with pneumonia every year. His breathing has been getting worse but oxygen levels stay in the 97 to 98 range except when he's in hospital. For a year now he has been passing out. It is only for 1 to 3 minutes and was only when he would start coughing. The doctor changed his medications around but he passes out when breathing a bit hard. Also his feet swell up and are numb all the time. He then started using a cane. i searched for alternative treatment before i was introduced to Health herbal clinic by a friend here in the United states she told me they have successful herbal treatment to Emphysema and other lungs diseases. I spoke to few people who used the treatment here in USA and they all gave a positive response, so i immediately purchased the Emphysema herbal formula for my husband and he commenced usage, its totally unexplainable how all the symptoms totally dissapeared, his cough was gone and he no longer experience shortness of breath(dyspnea), contact this herbal clinic via their email healthherbalclinic@ gmail. com Or website www .healthherbalclinic. weebly. com. Herbs are truely gift from God

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from asthma , i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My husband suffered asthma and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony of so many people who was cured from asthma and Emphysema. and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the herbal cure to asthma . I never imagined asthma has a cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. asthma has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my story

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eleven months ago I was diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). I have had asthma all my life. I have just been to the doctors and seen a senior nurse who has told me I no longer have this lung conditions because Total Cure Herbal Foundation has given me a good health while using their prescription. My breathing is totally great and I don't feel I need the COPD inhaler anymore,i actually found the herbal foundation on guessbook i managed to give a try on the their herbs which totally save me from this chronic disease..Id like for you to give a try also by contacting them on
    https://totalcureherbalfou5.wixsite.com/herbal/contact Totalcureherbalfoundation@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete