When a dog's diet is deficient in any of the essential nutrients, their immune system more often than not, does not function properly. Dogs are constantly exposed to bacteria, viruses and allergens in their everyday life. To help neutralize these issues, their immune systems need to adapt very quickly. Improper nutrition can cause your dogs immune system to become overactive, which in turn may result in devastating imbalances in their red blood cell. Also, an under active immune system may reduce your dog's ability to fight infection. This problem materializes as chronic ear infections, dry itchy skin, bladder infections and other generalized infections.
Although this information can vary dependent on the health and special needs of your dog, a general guideline is as follows:
- Approximately 40% of total kcal from a protein source
- Approximately 45% of total kcal from carbohydrates (35% cooked grains plus 10% veg or fruit)
- Approximately 15% of total kcal from a supplemental fat or oil source
- sodium chloride (again - to be monitored)
- bonemeal/eggshells and a multi-vitamin (note that I have many articles on the advantages of eggshells over bonemeal - please see http://dogzenden.blogspot.com/2010/09/benefits-of-nutritional-yeast.html