Here are some suggestions:
- Play a cd that promotes calm. I highly recommend the cd series entitled The Most Relaxing Classical... at
They can be ordered at http://www.amazon.com/ or http://www.amazon.ca/
- Take your dog for short car rides that result with a walk in the park or a trip to the dog park. By doing this, they will associate the ride with a reward.
- If your dog is only mildly stressed, you can use food rewards provided that they aren't so anxious that they may vomit.
- Avoid smoking in the car. This can make them very nauseated as their noses are even more sensitive than ours.
- Keep a window down for fresh air, even in winter. Just a crack so that fresh air can circulate.
- Never let your dog ride with his head hanging out the window. Although they love to do this it is highly unsafe and you risk injury to their head and possible eye damage.
- Position your dog with a dog harness such as Pet Buckle http://www.immioutdoors.com/petbuckle/ which will allow for stability and less movement which can result in motion sickness.
- Before the ride, dispense 3-4 drops of Bach Flower Rescue Remedy. This will help to promote calmness in your pet. For more information about Bach Flower Remedies see http://bit.ly/9od84t
Finally, as with any of my posts, I always stress to use your best judgement and if you have any doubts, ask a professional.